Thursday, 3 October 2013

3 October 2013

Human Resources (Reply from Ms. Chan Yi Chyn - Experienced Marathon Runner)

Today, I received Ms. Chan reply for my personal project questionnaires!

Interviewee: Name: Ms. Chan Yi Chyn (27, Sport Journalist at One Titan Media)

Experiences:

•    Full Marathon- Liverpool Marathon 2011
•    Half Marathon Welsh Marathon 2012
•    50km Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 2012
•    Full Marathon Edinburgh Marathon 2012
•    25km Newton Marathon 2012
•    Full Marathon Langkawi Marathon 2013
•    Full Marathon River Jungle Marathon 2013
•    Full Marathon Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2013

Questions:
1)    How did you get started in running, have you always been a runner?
I was athlete (track and field)/basketball player during the primary and secondary school time, of because, I always needed running while training to strengthen myself before the tournament/races started. Yes, I am a runner indeed.


2)    What is your main reason that you run? What motivates you?
When I graduated from high school and college, I didn't have any training for basketball and running. My life was started indiscipline, day out and night out with college friends every day , thus it's made myself biological clock had been reversed. But, I had never realized of it and continued the unhealthier life goes on. Undoubtedly, my health was gradually unhealthier with indiscipline life. When I went to UK for further study in 2009, I was nearly collapsed and kept illing because of the unhealthy body, low immunity system and couldn't use to the four seasons weather. This made me always moody, spirited down and suffering all the time...

I went back to Malaysia for vacation in 2011, knew a new friend who is marathoner and sharing his experiences of running to me. He had inspired me, I also decided to change unhealthy life. When back to Liverpool, I started to search a marathon competition, unluckily, just only got a full 26.2miles (42.195) marathon in Liverpool, but I still registered it and started training since it had been half year for training. And for me, that was enough time until the marathon day.

Motivate me?
I think is, changing life and re-gain my healthy body.

3)    What do you find to be the most rewarding thing about running? Specifically running long distances?
I preferred running long distances because always love to challenge myself. I had never give up to keep going to the finish point, that's the most rewarding to me. I also smashed myself record in full marathon at 4 hours 30 minutes, satisfaction until the maximum.

4)    How did you train? Describe the training process for a marathon. How did you prepare–both mentally and physically? 

I am training with my partner always, targeted run 10km a day with pace 5.32 until 6.10 per km. It could be sustained the stamina until the race day. Last time when I participated 50km, the training was up to 15km per day. Set a target, and it will become the motivation before the run.

5)    What training looks like if your marathon is the following week and what training looks like if your next marathon is 7 to 8 weeks away (can you share some exact workouts you did and why)? Actually nothing special training for marathon. If you keep training 2 hours per day and 70km or above per week, should be not a big problem in half marathon.


6)    Getting ready for a marathon requires a lot of running. Did you have any setbacks and how did you overcome them? 

I had it during the Standard Chartered KL Marathon which was my worse performance ever since lack of training and working at outstation a month and really tired of it. The day before marathon, i still working until midnight and without a good sleep and still insist to take part in marathon.
I remembered, when reached in 10km, the symptom of dizzy and vomit occurred, feel wanted to give up. Suffering and no motivation to go on. Luckily, my friends stayed with me and the encouragement by them was crucial. I kept running until the end point at 6 hours 08 min. Despite the result was bad, but the satisfaction was there. 


7)    Do you have a special diet that is appropriate for being an athlete? Do you have any recipe books that you stick to, or do you eat a particular type of diet (vegetables, carbs, no-carb, Asian food, etc.). Do have any recommendations in terms of eating for people who want to start getting in better shape and feeling good or even being a competitive runner?

Before the race a week, keep carob-load to fill my energy until the race day because it can help my race without hit the wall. Cereal and whole grain bagels for breakfast. Sandwiches made on hearty whole grain bread, snack with some dried fruits, and yogurt for lunch, and dinner based on pasta, potato, rice and other grains as well as lot of veggies. Calories are not higher but enough to fill my whole body, fearless to hit the wall is what I want.

8)    Day of the big race…how are you feeling?
Feel excited, happy and desired to break a new record by myself.

9)    What kinds of things do you think about as you run?
Keep running to the finish point, don't simply give up. The enjoyable is the most important during your running.


10)    What to do immediately after you finish your first marathon to ensure you recover as quickly as you possibly can?
Do stretching and don't sit down and keep walking after finish a marathon. After the day of marathon, run slowly for 10 min, as well as swimming is good to relax muscles. Of because nutrition is also important for recovery part. 

11)    Are you planning to run another marathon?

Yes, keep running all the time. Marathon is my life.

12)    Do you have any advice for new runners that weren’t covered in the other questions?
Set goal, keep training, motivated yourself, beware your dietary. If you willing to be a marathoner, must have a good training. Please join a group running to enhance and strengthen yourself. Their spirit will make you feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment